Gaming Commission

200 North Water Ave. Tahlequah, OK 74464

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I’ve heard tribes pay fines to the state for not paying out what they should – is that true?

This is completely untrue.  The tribal-state compact does not require a minimum payout percentage nor does it empower the state to levy a fine on a tribe for any reason.  The payout percentages are determined by the individual gaming operators and are approved by tribal gaming regulatory agencies (TGRA).  Game performance, including payout percentages, is regularly monitored by the TGRA to ensure the gaming machines are within parameters established by the TGRA; changes to payout percentages cannot be made without authorization from the TGRA.

What role does the state play in regulating Indian gaming?

Under the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA), the state may only become involved in Indian gaming under the terms of a tribal-state compact.  The state’s involvement will be limited to those Class III games and areas that are agreed to in the compact and will not extend into Class II gaming areas.

In the case of the compact between the Cherokee Nation and the State of Oklahoma, the Office of Management and Enterprise Services serves as the State Compliance Agency for gaming related matters.  The state is also represented in the casinos by the ABLE Commission, if the facility serves alcohol, and possibly the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission for any sporting events that may be held at a Cherokee gaming facility.

How does a person self-exclude themselves from the casinos?

A person may elect to self-exclude himself/herself at any time and may do so by contacting gaming facility management and completing a self-exclusion form.  The person may choose a temporary exclusion (e.g. 1 year, 5 years) or to be excluded permanently.

How does a person get an exclusion, whether voluntary or involuntary, lifted?

Anyone subject to involuntary exclusion must contact gaming facility management to discuss the terms of their exclusion. The decision to lift an exclusion is left solely to gaming facility management.

How do I file a complaint?

A patron is encouraged to contact gaming facility management regarding any complaint involving the casino.

How do I file a tort claim?

A tort claim may be filed with either gaming facility management or with the Gaming Commission.  A tort claim requires certain information to be provided and may be affected according to when it is filed.  All information and terms regarding tort claims are available on Tort Claim Forms found at all gaming facilities or may be obtained from the Gaming Commission office.

How do I file a prize claim?

A prize claim must be filed in accordance with the associated gaming or promotional activity.  Information and instructions on filing a claim may be found at multiple locations within each casino, primarily at the cage or at the player’s club desk.