Honor Tradition. Nominate a Treasure.
You are invited to nominate Cherokee Nation citizens with exceptional knowledge of Cherokee art forms and cultural practices for the Cherokee National Treasure Award.
This award honors those who are reviving and preserving Cherokee cultural practices of traditional foods, bow making, beadwork, basketry, painting, pottery, wood and stone carving, gig making, turtle shell making and flint knapping. Categories also include Cherokee language, blowgun making, flute making, textiles, graphic arts and quilting.
Nominations due by May 14, 2019 at 5 p.m. CST
Nomination Rules and Requirements:
• You may submit only one (1) nomination per year.
• Nominees must be Cherokee Nation citizens who, for a minimum of 10 years, have made major contributions or a lifetime commitment to Cherokee culture.
• Nominees can be recognized in only one (1) category.
• All artwork and application must be received by deadline date, May 14, 2019 at 5 p.m. NO EXCEPTIONS.
• All artwork submitted for review will be available for pickup on July 1, 2019 and must be picked up by July 12, 2019.
• All shipping costs, including return shipping, will be the responsibility of the nominator.
• The Cherokee National Treasure Advisory Committee, Cherokee Nation and Cherokee Nation Businesses will NOT be responsible for lost or broken artwork while in possession of the committee or via postal service or postal carrier.
• If selected, the nominee must agree to participate in an interview and educational presentation of his/her artwork at a later date coordinated by the Cherokee National Treasures Advisory Committee.
Required Supplemental Information:
1. One (1) typed page or legibly handwritten page biography of artist and work. Please include the following:
• Number of years in field of nominated artwork.
• List of workshops, classes, etc., and dates/location taught within and beyond the Cherokee Nation 14-county area (may attach a separate page if list is extensive).
• Gallery, shows/representation of art form.
• Awards and recognition.
2. Copy of artist’s Cherokee Nation citizenship card (blue card or Cherokee Nation photo ID).
3. One (1) typed page or legibly handwritten page of supporting documentation stating why you believe this artist should be recognized as a Cherokee National Treasure.
4. ATTACH three (3) written references for the artist.
5. One (1) original artwork.
6. Up to four (4) photos of the artist’s work.
The nomination, all required information and artwork must be received by May 14, 2019 at 5 p.m. NO EXCEPTIONS. Incomplete nomination packets will be disqualified. Please read the nomination form carefully and provide all required information and artwork.
Download the nomination form below or pick up a form at Cherokee Nation Businesses, 950 Main Parkway, Tahlequah, Oklahoma.
The announcement and recognition of honorees will take place at the 67th annual Cherokee National Holiday.
If selected, the nominee must agree to participate in an interview and educational presentation of his/her artwork at a later date coordinated by the Cherokee National Treasures Advisory Committee.
If hand delivering or shipping the nomination packet, please deliver to:
Cherokee Nation Businesses
950 Main Parkway
Tahlequah, OK 74464
Attn: Cherokee National Treasures
Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
For more information, please call 918-384-7730 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.