1. Where does Tribal ownership begin on the Arkansas River? The ownership starts at Mouth of the Verdigris River.
2. Where does Tribal ownership stop? The ownership stop at the Arkansas State Line.
3. How many miles of river do they owned? Approximately 84 miles with approximately 22,399.83 acres.
4. What portion of the Arkansas River belongs entirely to the Cherokee Nation? That portion of the river from the mouth of the Verdigris River to the Confluence of the Canadian River.
5. How many miles is that? 42 miles with 6,272.01 river acres and 1,295 dry bed acres.
6. What portion of the Arkansas River Is owned jointly by the Cherokee, Chickasaw and Choctaw Tribes? Confluence of Canadian River to Arkansas State Line.
7. How many miles from South Canadian to Robert S. Kerr Dam? 20 miles with approximately 10,334.17 acres.
8. How many miles from Robert S. Kerr to Arkansas State Line? 24 miles with 4,498.65 acres.
9. How many acres did the three tribes give up in the Settlement Act? After years of negotiation following the Supreme Court ruling, the tribes were able to reach a settlement agreement with the United States government over the use of the riverbed. Late in 2002 the Congress passed the Cherokee, Choctaw, and Chickasaw Nations Claims Settlement Act whereby the Tribes received payment for past damages and for the value of dry-bed claim areas in the lower reach of the river in exchange for a relinquishment of all claims to their dry bed claim areas that were occupied by third parties. The three tribes gave up those lands to private citizens, including some members of the Cherokee, Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations, who occupy approximately 11,000 - 14,000 thousand acres of tribal claim area along the Arkansas River. This settlement kept the federal government from having to pursue court action to remove those Oklahoma citizens from that land. Those court proceedings would be very costly to the government as well as the individuals involved, and would take many years to resolve.
10. How do we contact you: Arkansas Riverbed Director
Cell: 918-230-4462, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org