Julie Thornton, Miss Cherokee 2013-2014
Miss Cherokee, Junior Miss Cherokee and Little Cherokee Ambassadors
Each year these programs each hold a separate competitions, selecting representatives from qualified candidates to best exemplify the attributes of leadership as described in our Declaration of Designed Purpose. These attributes include personal integrity, communication skills and respectfulness.
Miss Cherokee and Junior Miss Cherokee serve as goodwill ambassadors and messengers promoting the government, history, language and culture of the Cherokee Nation. They are role models and as such are expected to display the best qualities of Cherokee youth during their respective reigns. Each attends various events throughout the Cherokee Nation including community meetings, parades and school functions promote their message. From time to time they may also attend statewide and national events.
The overall goal of our Little Cherokee Ambassadors is to begin instilling leadership skills that will help them eventually become leaders for our nation. Participating in the Little Cherokee Ambassador event is intended to inspire our youth to achieve their dreams. They are also encouraged to “Lead by Example” and become self sufficient, as well as gaining knowledge of their Cherokee heritage and beginning to recognize their history, culture and Language
- Miss Cherokee must be between 18 and 22 years of age before the date of the competition; 17 year-olds are eligible if they have graduated high school;
- Must be a Cherokee citizen and reside within the 14-county Cherokee jurisdiction;
- Must be a high school graduate or have attained a GED;
- Must not have been married or ever co-habitated;
- Must not have children;
- Must not have previously served as Miss Cherokee.
- Junior Miss Cherokee must be between 13 and 18 years of age before the date of the competition;
- Must be a Cherokee citizen;
- Must currently be attending school;
- Must not have been married or have ever co-habitated;
- Must not have children;
- Must not have previously served as Junior Miss Cherokee.
One girl and one boy will be chosen from each age group. Group 1: 4-6 years Group 2: 7-9 years Group 3: 10-12
- Little Cherokee Ambassadors must be between the ages of 4-12 years (age on the day of competition will determine age group)
- Must be a Cherokee Nation tribal member
- Must not have previously served as Little Cherokee Ambassador (in that age group)
- Must submit a copy of Cherokee Nation tribal membership card
- Must submit a brief biography
- A completed copy of the Little Cherokee Ambassador application form for 2013
email@example.com (918)-453-5000 OR 1-800-256-0671