Honor Tradition. Nominate a Treasure.
You are invited to nominate Cherokee Nation citizens with exceptional knowledge of Cherokee art forms and cultural practices for the Cherokee National Treasure Award.
This award honors those who are reviving and preserving Cherokee cultural practices of traditional bow making, basketry, pottery, wood and stone carving, gig making and flint knapping. Categories also include Cherokee language, graphic arts, contemporary arts and music.
Nominations are due by May 31, 2017 at 5 p.m.
Nomination Rules and Requirements
• You may submit only one (1) nomination per year.
• Nominees must be Cherokee Nation citizens who, for a minimum of 10 years, have made major contributions or a lifetime commitment to Cherokee culture.
• Nominees must have demonstrated their talents and shared their knowledge by training others to produce certain artwork.
• Nominees can be recognized in one category only.
• The following information must be included in the nomination:
o Number of years in field of nominated artwork
o List of workshops, classes, etc., and dates/location taught within and beyond Cherokee Nation’s 14-county area (may attach a separate page if the list is extensive)
o Gallery shows/representation of art form
o Biography of artist and work (one  typed page or legible hand-written page). Please include the following:
• Copy of artist’s Cherokee Nation citizenship card
• One (1) typed page or hand-written legible written page of supporting documentation stating why you believe this artist should be recognized as a Cherokee National Treasure
• Three (3) written, attached references
• One (1) piece of original artwork
• Up to four (4) photos or slides of the artist’s work
The nomination, all required information and artwork must be received by the deadline, May 31, 2017, by 5 p.m. NO EXCEPTIONS.
• All artwork submitted for review will be available for pick up on August 1, 2016, and must be picked up no later than August 19, 2016, 5 p.m.
• All shipping costs, including return shipping, will be the responsibility of the nominator.
• The Cherokee National Treasure Committee and Cherokee Nation Businesses will not be responsible for lost or broken artwork while in possession of the committee or via postal service or postal carrier.
Incomplete nomination packets will be disqualified. Please read the nomination form carefully and provide all required information and artwork.
Download the nomination form below or pick up a form at Cherokee Nation Businesses, 950 Main Parkway, Tahlequah, Oklahoma.
The announcement and recognition of honorees will take place at the 65th annual Cherokee National Holiday.
If selected, the nominee must agree to participate in an educational presentation of his/her artwork at a later date coordinated by the Cherokee Nation Treasures Committee.
If hand delivering or shipping the nomination packet, please deliver to:
Cherokee Nation Businesses
950 Main Parkway
Tahlequah, OK 74464
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
For more information, please call 918-575-7486 or e-mail email@example.com.